- Make a list of three people you would like to invite to church. Think of three people among your friends, family members, colleagues, neighbors, people who deliver your mail or mow your lawn or stand with you on the soccer field--people who could benefit from belonging to a church, who could use the love and support of a faith community on their journey.
- Pray for the people on your list. Ask God for wisdom and courage and for a sense of how he wants to touch the lives of each person on your list. Ask God to give you an opportunity to approach one of those people this week.
- When God gives you the opportunity, invite them!
- If it’s someone you know fairly well, make it personal. Put something concrete from your relationship into the invitation. Tell them something about why you like going to church and how you think they would benefit from church, too. For example: “You know how hard my mom’s death has been on me. My church has been such an important part of helping me get through this, and I think you would really like it too. I was wondering if you would come to church with me this weekend.”
- If it’s a casual acquaintance, just make it general and friendly. “We’ve been going to this church for a while and our girls are really enjoying the kids’ programs. I’m not sure if you have plans for this weekend, but I hope you’ll come check it out with us sometime.”
Take your next step: Make your list of three. Pray about it. When God gives you the opportunity this week, take it!